The name can come from the Greek Althaea, which means ‘I heal’, or the Arabic word attálaya that comes from the Valencian word ‘Talaia’. It is not clear where it comes from. Altea is a coastal town in the province of Alicante. This city is situated close to Calpe and l’Alfàs del Pi. When it comes to tourism in the Valencian Community, Altea stands out for its charm, quality beaches and also the history in which it is steeped. Visit Altea to escape. Here we recommend some of the corners because tourism in Valencia is an experience that you have to experience.
Altea, the most beautiful city on the Costa Blanca
Altea is the only city with an important tradition and has many important historical figures, such as the painters Benjamín Palencia and Rafael Ruiz Balerdi, and national and international figures such as Eberhard Schlotter, Rafael Alberti, Vincente Blaso Ibañez and Josh Rouse. Why did they all fall in love with the place?
The historic center is centered on Iglesia Parroquial de la Virgen del Consuelo, a very important church in Altea, with two beautiful domes, covered with blue and white tiles of ceramic glaze. The historic center is surrounded by old houses with white facades, cobbled and stepped streets, beach viewpoints and balconies filled with geraniums and jasmines that form an impressive setting that is incredible to view and perfect for a peaceful ride.
In the more than 6 km from the coast that Altea has, there are alternating sections of traditional beaches with bays and areas with cliffs. La Olla beach, for example, is a quiet rocky beach, while La Roda is much busier and has a path with many restaurants in Altea, where you can eat the local gastronomy. Cap Negret, La Solsida and La Platja del Mascarat are other beaches that you can visit to enjoy when you have time.
- TORRE DE LA GALERA, declared a Cultural Heritage.
- TORRE DE BELLAGUARDA, former tower of the city wall of Altea, nowadays it stands next to a picturesque park, near Bellaguarda.
- PARISH CHURCH NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL CONSUELO, this is the most important church, it is also the best known, thanks to the two domes that enchant all tourists. They are the emblem of Altea par excellence and, because of their beauty and splendor, were given the name “domes of the Mediterranean”.
- PUEBLO ANTIGUO (old town center), next to the church. This is one of the nicest zones. It is a perfectly preserved old town center with cobblestone streets, white houses and flower boxes. A dinner in one of the restaurants and a walk through the streets is the perfect combination for a great evening.
- THE BEACH BOULEVARD, the ideal place for walking while enjoying the Mediterranean Sea and the extensive gastronomic offer.
Where to eat in Altea
The gastronomy in Altea has influences from different cultures. The typical meals of Altea are for example salazones (salted fish), “coques al forn” and an Argentinian recipe of lamb in the cross. The restaurants in Altea offer a variety of excellent gastronomy.
In the meantime, have you felt like getting to know or visit this beautiful city and surroundings? And are you still looking for private airport transportation (airport transfer)? Then quickly contact Taxi Alicante or ask for your free quote!